Friday, April 18, 2014

Zistle Me This...


Boy oh boy, I've gone way too long since my last blog post.  Yes, it's true my spare time has been largely occupied by a little three-month-old person who know lives in our house, plus those oh-so-fun springtime chores that beckon from the backyard.

But, more than that, I've become recently hypnotized by Zistle.  More specifically, systematically entering my collection onto the site, creating custom collections, and so forth.  I've had a ball going through my cards and cross-checking them against the vast Zistle database.  I've even given my scanner copious amounts of electronic cardio work, adding images to the site.


So that's where I've been.  I don't know what's taken me so long to get on the Zistle train.  I know lots of fellow bloggers/collectors use the site, but I've never bothered to investigate previously.  From what I've seen thus far, it's the best free site out there in terms of organizing one's collection.  Easy to navigate and lots of convenient sorting options.  Heck, it beats the rot out of just keeping a bunch of different Google spreadsheets, which was what I had been doing.

Anyhow, I've decided to begin by tackling my Mets collection.  That means adding all the cards to a custom collection, fixing any database errors and adding card images I've scanned.  Sounds kinda boring on the surface, but I'm having fun with it.  In a past life, I was a heck of a data entry clerk, I guess.


I'm sure the novelty will wane in due time and I'll get back to my regular blogging routine.  After all, I've gotten a few really great trade packages over the past week or so.  Plus, I have the itch to rekindle my Four Topps feature, which I have probably done maybe once over the past three weeks.  Ugh.

In the meantime, my scanner is calling me.

Oh, and, by the way...

Gabriel is unimpressed by the Bunny.

Happy Easter, from the Kaz family!

MK

4 comments:

  1. I love Zistle. For custom collections it's hard to beat:

    (get a card)
    "Is it in the binder?"
    (searches Zistle)
    "NO!"
    (add to collection. Scan - if needed.)
    done

    In the old way, I would have to page through my binder to see if I had it. When I first added my collections to Zistle I found the few dupes in the binder that one can miss with a visual scan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup, I'm warning you now the novelty may not wane! It hasn't for me after like 6 years, I've got over 30,000 cards cataloged and have uploaded over 26,000 images!

    By the way, got your envelope yesterday and it's awesome! So good that it's making me want to open the one I had ready for you back up and add to it because I feel like I fell short compared to what you sent. Hope to have this in the mail Monday, if not will be a couple weeks until I get back from traveling.

    Last but not least, awesome Easter Bunny photo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I know what you mean about Zistle. It gets your hooks into you pretty fast!

      And, I'm glad you like the loot! Don't you dare re-open that envelope, either. I'm sure whatever you send will be great!

      Delete
  3. Glad to see you're on it! Zistle's been a god-send for my collection since 2010. It takes two seconds to figure out if I already have the card. The admins are also very responsive to users. And for a non-blogger, it's been a great way to show others what I have/collect.

    ReplyDelete