Friday, August 28, 2015

Four Topps, #608


It's time once again for my longest-running regular feature!  (Never mind the fact that it's my only regular feature.)

It's Four Topps time!

We'll grab a random number from 1 to 792 and examine the corresponding card numbers from the cornerstone Topps sets of my youth; that is 1987, '88, '89 and '90.  You call it junk wax, I call it nostalgia.

Today, Random.org handed us card No. 608.  At first glance, it doesn't read like a glamorous number which will be populated with perennial All-Stars or a Hall of Famer.  But, there's only one way to find out...


1987

Welp, right off the bat my initial assumption is blown away.  This is not only an All-Star, but it's also a HOFer.  In a past edition of this feature, I established a guideline that unless there are multiple All-Star subset cards for a certain number, I would try to avoid selecting the AS card.  For what it's worth, I do happen to like this particular card an awful lot.  Hey, Stat Man:  Boggs led the loop with a .357 batting average during the '86 season.


1988

This is Kerfeld's third--and final, as it turns out--Topps card.  His seminal card appeared in the '86 Traded set and he also had a card in the '87 regular set.  Points to Charlie for the aviator frames, first-rate mullet, official Astros windbreaker and smooth, chubby cheeks.  Hey, Stat Man:  Posted an 0-2 mark with a 6.67 ERA in 29.2 innings for the Astros in 1987.


1989

This is one of Bradley's two Topps cards from 1989, as he was also featured in the subsequent Traded series wearing an Orioles uniform.  A long-time member of the Mariners, this is Bradley's second card as a Phillie; the first was included in the '88 Traded set.  By the way, I really love the powder blue and purple team/name banner reserved for the '89 Phillies cards!  Hey, Stat Man:  In his first season as a Phillie, Bradley batted .264 with 11 homers and 56 RBIs in 1988.


1990

Not only a rookie card, but a FUTURE STARS card!  Eric Anthony is truly one of the chosen ones to have received the prestigious FS banner on his card.  Growing up, I considered the Future Stars just one rung below the guys who got the Rookie Cup cards.  Come to think of it, I guess I still do.  Hey, Stat Man:  In just his second big league game, Anthony slugged his first home run--a two-run shot in the second inning off Rick Reuschel--to propel the Astros to an 8-1 victory in the Astrodome on July 29, 1989.

And, the Winner Is:  Hey, rules are meant to be broken, right?  I'm gonna go with the Boggs All-Star card since the three other competitors are just way too blah for my liking.  The Star of the Future, Eric Anthony, gets the runner-up position.

MK

2 comments:

  1. Wow unexpectedly good cards for that card number for sure! I agree that it's between the Boggs and the Anthony. As a Red Sox guy you'd think the Boggs would be a no-brainer, but that Eric Anthony card brings up SO many childhood memories I think it gets my vote. I was 8 when 1990 Topps came out and LOVED it. I thought every player dubbed a Future Star was going to be the next Mickey Mantle, and I recall keeping Eric Anthony's card in a sleeve and toploader believe it or not!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I believe it. When I was a kid I used to handle the FS and Rookie Cup cards like they were '52 Mantles, so I know what you mean!

      Delete