Sunday, December 9, 2012

A Picture Speaks Volumes


One of the great things about baseball cards -- and there are many to list -- is that they can transmit a multitude of thoughts and feelings and emotions just via the image they contain.

The above card is a prime example.  I wouldn't need to pen you a 1,000 word essay to convey the meaning behind Pete Rose's nickname.  I'd simply have to produce a copy of this '77 Topps card and suddenly the "Charlie Hustle" alias comes to life in more vivid reality than any grouping of words could ever hope to accomplish.

It's pretty cool to come across a card like this, one that encapsulates the soul of a ballplayer.  And maybe there are other Rose cards out there that do an even better job of capturing the essence of the man between the lines. I dunno.  But, I was recently going through some of my vintage cards, and I was really struck by this one.  I guess I forgot how great a card it is.

MK

1 comment:

  1. That is quite a tremendous card. I'll have to find a copy of it for myself one of these days.

    ReplyDelete