Saturday, December 27, 2014

Stocking Stuff


We had a great Christmas in the Kaz household!  It was Gabriel's very first Christmas holiday and, judging by the amount of loot he got and the fun that he had, I think he's gonna like December 25 a whole lot from now on.

As for his old man, I made out like a bandit, as well.  Especially in the hobby sense.  It began on Christmas Eve when Mrs. K and I exchanged gifts.  As usual, she made sure to load up my stocking with all sorts of baseball card goodies.  There were packs and even a few individual cards in top loaders, each separately wrapped.

Let's start with the latter.  Up top, perhaps the highlight of the group, is Dwight Gooden's 1985 Fleer rookie!


Certainly an essential card of Doc's, and one that I had been lacking for way too long.  Now, if I could just track down an affordable copy of his '84 "true" rookies...


Not deGrom's actual rookie, but one of the "Rookie Debut" subsets from this year's Update.  And I really dig it!  I kinda wish this is the photo they used for his true rookie, cos this one beats the pants off that one.


I don't know how Mrs. K goes about picking and choosing the individual cards that she does, and she won't tell me her system.  A good magician never reveals his or her secrets, I guess.  Anyhow, whatever the method, this 2001 Upper Deck base card of Rey-O is one that was missing from my collection.  Great photo choice, and I love '01 UD to boot.

As for the packs, I got four retail packs of Series 2 Topps.  The highlight outa those rips...


The Mets just recently swapped Germen's contract to the Yankees for cash considerations.  Regardless, a Mets parallel is always a noteworthy score!

And, the best for last.  Four packs of Upated netted me this beauty...


This is the photo variation of Rafael Montero's rookie card!  It's always great luck to find a photo variation in retail, but to get one of a guy who plays for your favorite team is... well, a great Christmas surprise!

These great cards are just the tip of the iceberg.  Christmas Day found me a few more essential baseball card gifts, each of which I made sure I jotted onto my list to Santa.  Since I'm still sorting and opening, etc., I'll save those for my next post...

MK

1 comment:

  1. Looks like Mrs. K did a heck of a job! Looking forward to seeing what else Santa brought you.

    ReplyDelete