Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Four Topps, #655


A fun lot of cards to discuss in this edition of Four Topps, made possible by the haphazard whimsy of Random.org.  You know the drill: We'll take a random card number and discover what the four most important card sets of my childhood -- those are 1987 through '90 Topps -- have in store for said number.

Let's investigate card No. 655...

1987

What are the chances?!?  I've done 10 editions of Four Topps, and Jesse Barfield has appeared in three of them. Previously, we've viewed his cards from 1989 and '90, and now we've got his '87 specimen.  In my estimation, this is the best of the Barfield trio that we've come across.  Hey, Stat Man:  Barfield led the Junior Circuit in 1986 with 40 home runs.


1988

One of the best Lenny Dyskstra cards of the era!  To my biased eyes, the Mets cards from '88 Topps are by far the most attractive of any of the other teams.  By the way, remember when Pony used to be a big player in the baseball cleat marketplace?  Hey, Stat Man:  "Nails" set career highs with 37 doubles and 10 homers for the Mets in 1987.


1989

Two Mets cards in one Four Topps feature?  My heart be still!  Set against the unmistakable backdrop of Shea Stadium's massive right-field scoreboard, we find Dave Magadan and his mullet squinting through the sun of a pleasant baseball afternoon in Queens.  A great card.  Hey, Stat Man:  Magadan hit .277 with 35 RBIs in 112 games for the Amazins in 1988.


1990

I think I've mentioned previously that my dad bought me a 1990 Topps factory set from a sports novelty shop when we were visiting the Inner Harbor that summer.  I certainly remember hearing the buzz surrounding the Orioles with Gregg Olson and top overall draft pick Ben McDonald in tow.  For those reasons, I've remained partial to the O's cards from the '90 set.  That being stated, there isn't much pizzazz to this card (but I still like it!).  Hey, Stat Man:  Olson saved 27 games for the 1989 Orioles and easily captured AL Rookie of the Year honors.

And the Winner Is:  This is a really solid grouping of cards, thus it was a tough choice.  In the end, the '88 Dykstra takes the cake with the '87 Barfield a close second.

MK

2 comments:

  1. Loving this feature. Although I do have to disagree with you slightly, not with your choice of Lenny Dykstra which is spot on. My problem is you saying the Mets are the most attractive cards of the 1988 set. The Mets are very good, but they are 3rd behind the Orioles and the Royals respectively in my opinion. That would be a good series to do, choosing the best looking teams in each set.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gold: '88
    Silver: '89
    Bronze: '87
    Loser: '90

    I also love the way the Mets cards look in the '88 set. I've found that 1980's cards of overcast days from Shea always look great. There's a good number of '88 Topps issued (non-base set stuff) that features Wallach in Shea on a gloomy day. Probably from the same game that the Lenny is from as I see an Expo in the background.

    ReplyDelete