Saturday, May 21, 2016

Dime Box Potpourri


On my schedule for Sunday is a trip to my local fire hall for their monthly card show!  I have missed the last show or two, so I'm jonesin' to get back at it!

Thus, I figured it was a good time to flush out the remaining scans of cards from my last card show trip that have been laying about getting stale in some imaginary folder on some cyber cloud somewhere.

For starters, a decent run of Topps Archives short prints from the 2013 release.  Usually these will fetch around a dollar or more on eBay, so to grab 'em for a dime each was a minor coup.  Kevin Mitchell (as seen above) was one of those that was on my radar for some time.


The MVP of the '86 Fall Classic, Ray Knight.  Currently a Nationals studio analyst for Mid-Atlantic Sports Net, Knight finished fifth in NL MVP voting in 1979.


Lloyd Moseby led the AL with 15 triples in 1984.


Darrell Evans drew a league-high 124 walks and made his first All-Star Game in 1973


Nothing really notable to report from the '93 season for Hal Morris.  Well, I mean, he did hit .317 in 379 ABs which isn't exactly terrible, I suppose.


Ruben Sierra led the loop with 14 triples and 119 RBIs in 1989 -- a season that saw him finish runner-up to Robin Yount in MVP voting.


Jesse Barfield's 1986 season was a thing of beauty: All-Star Game, Silver Slugger, Gold Glove and a top-five finish in MVP voting.

Up next, a pair of legends from the '86 OPC set...



I very rarely come across O-Pee-Chee cards in dime boxes -- and certainly never '86s -- and when I do I yank 'em up.  Was very pleased to find these two guys, to say the least!

The round-up concludes with a few from the 2005 Topps Retired Signature set.  No actual signatures to be found, but some neat cards of some great HOFers regardless...


I mean, can you go wrong with these for just a measly dime?



And my favorite of the lot....


Great shot of Pudge taking his role as on-field general very seriously.  And, boy oh boy, those '80s White Sox duds!  The number on the pants is a real treat.

Here's to hoping for some more cheap treasures on Sunday...

MK

5 comments:

  1. Those 2005 Topps Retired set cards are great finds!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a really good haul. Nice digging!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some fantastic stuff there at a dime a pop. Happy digging on Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Topps Retired is terrific, and I really wish I found them in dime boxes more often.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great haul! I miss the days when Archives SPs used different designs than the rest of the base set.

    ReplyDelete