Monday, May 26, 2014

I Finally Got My Willie!


Happy Memorial Day, folks!  I'm spending the day with the family, just relaxing and getting caught up on some Zistle scanning, etc.  Earlier, we attended a special outdoor Memorial Day mass at one of our Catholic diocese's main cemeteries.  It was a great way to honor the memories of all our nation's true heroes and also enjoy the beautiful day that God made for us.  A real win-win!

On Sunday, our local fire house had its monthly sports card show.  It was a somewhat weak showing in terms of number of vendors, but what can you expect from a show being held on a Sunday during a major holiday weekend?

Nonetheless I was able to pick up a few great additions for the All-Time Mets Project, including a long-coveted Willie Mays card.  I totally forgot about the 2002 American Pie product and I certainly didn't know it featured a card of the great Mays in a Mets uni.  For the price of a single quarter, I was thrilled to uncover it.


A great little blurb on the back about how Willie persevered beyond some rookie jitters.  Kind of strange, therefore, that the front photo depicts the Hall of Famer at the tail end of his career.  Hey, I'm not complaining, as this eliminates a pretty important ATMP need.

Elsewhere, from the same quarter box...

2004 Topps Retired Signature base

2003 Donruss Diamond Kings Bronze Foil

2009 Topps Walmart Black

2005 Upper Deck Origins

1996 Score Dugout Collection

Just a small sampling of some Mets odds and ends from this most recent card show experience.  Like I said, it wasn't the greatest show I've been to, but I could spend a couple hours at even at a below-average show.  It just allowed me to be more thorough at each table rather than doing a rush job at each.

Anyhow, thanks for checking in.  I hope everyone has a great holiday!

MK

3 comments:

  1. Those Mays & Swoboda cards are pretty sweet, especially for a quarter! Nice pickups.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What Mr. Shlabotnik said. Can't go wrong with Mays as a Met. I'm also fond of that shot of Humber at the plate. Great finds!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A smiling Mays and a steely eyed Swoboda. Good stuff!

    ReplyDelete