Friday, July 11, 2014

Four Topps, #770


Almost a month-long gap between Four Topps posts, but today we're back with a bang!  The magic of Random.org had me rifling through my binders in search of card No. 770 from my four favorite childhood sets -- 1987 through 1990 Topps, of course.

Let's cut right through the chit-chat and see what we've got...


1987

Welp, we knew any card ending in a five or zero was bound to be a power player, and 1987 Topps didn't let us down.  Perennial all-star and HOFer Dave Winfield in all his pinstripe glory.  It's a great-looking card, even if his front foot got cropped off.  Hey, Stat Man:  Dave's 104 RBIs were second-most on the '86 Yankees (Mattingly, 113).


1988

Another star of his era, Whitaker's 1988 Topps card is a thing of beauty  The former AL Rookie of the Year is perfectly framed in this photo showing off his 'sweet' swing.  A great example of the allure of the '88 set.  Hey, Stat Man:  Whitaker set a career high with 110 runs for the Tigers in 1987 and made his fifth consecutive All-Star team.


1989

Just like his Detroit teammate, Alan Trammell took card No. 770 for a late '80s Topps set.  Ya know, I don't consider Trammell to have an unusually long last name, but look at how the lettering on the back of his jersey is essentially spilling into his armpit.  Big font, I guess.  Then again, guys wore their uniform tops kinda snug in 'nem days.  Hey, Stat Man:  Finished seventh in MVP voting in 1988 after crafting a .311 average with 15 homers as Detroit's everyday shortstop.


1990

If you don't love 1990 Topps, I don't know if we can be friends.  Okay, maybe that's a bit strong, but cards like this Cory Snyder take me back to my boyhood days of collecting.  How great it was to break open a wax pack of '90 Topps to see all the crazy color combos on the borders of each card.  This set had a lot of lame photos, yes, but this isn't one of them.  Oh, and by the way, why did Cory Snyder get such a badass card number??  Hey, Stat Man:  Despite a .215 batting clip, Cory swatted 18 homers for the Tribe in 1989

And the Winner Is:  A great selection of cards making for a very tricky call.  One the one hand, the Winfield seems to be the obvious choice since he's the lone Hall of Fame representative of the quartet.  But, I think the Whitaker and Snyder cards each have better photos.  So, my selection for the 770 slot?  I'll go with the man who resides in the hallowed halls of Cooperstown.

MK

2 comments:

  1. Great stuff for 770. I'm also one of the seemingly few 1990 Topps fans, because like you it was right in the wheelhouse of my childhood collecting days. I think I like the Whitaker best out of this group.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 4 sweet cards of glamour number stars

    Gold: '88 Sweet Lou
    Silver: '89
    Bronze: '87 (that card always bugged me for some reason)
    hard luck loser: '90

    ReplyDelete