Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Twelve on the Horizon


I've been sitting on (not literally, mind you) a stack of pretty cool horizontal cards that I picked up from JustCommons.com about a month or so ago.  I've been meaning to scan 'n post a bunch of them, but you know how that goes.

Anyhow, without any further blithering or blathering, here are a dozen cards from that lot that have made the cut--at least for right now--for my Horizontal Heroes frankenset.

Up top, we lead off with a 1993 Score Select Kevin Seitzer which has captured card No. 87 in the frankenset.  I don't recall '93 Select having a ton of horizontal shots, but this one has got to be one of the most interesting in the set.  If not THE most interesting.


2013 Topps Update #US90

I'm trying to be conscious of not admitting too many cards from the current decade, but that's a tough task when you consider how many photographic gems Topps has churned out.  This card gets bonus points for Chase Utley's out-of-character exuberance and also for the fact that Michael Young was a Phillie for a hot second.


1996 Score #108

There are about a zillion great horizontal cards featuring catchers in the throes of action at or around the plate.  If you're not careful, you could probably do an entire frankenset strictly comprised of such cards.  Not that that's a bad thing, but a little variety doesn't hurt.  In the case of this '96 Score McFarlane, it's too good to ignore.


1995 Upper Deck #114

Any time you can find a horizontal card of a pitcher doing something outside his accepted norm, you tend to gravitate towards it.  That's clearly the case with Rob Nen's 1995 Upper Deck issue.


1999 Stadium Club #127

Like so many other neat cards, I believe I first became aware of this one via Nick's Dime Boxes blog.  I immediately made sure to add it onto my 'want' list at Just Commons.  I think this might be one of four or five Brady Anderson cards that currently reside in the HH frankenset.  A strange coincidence, I assure you.  Then again, I don't have anything against Brady.  After all, he happens to be Mrs. K's favorite player of all-time (well, at least the one not named 'Cal').


2001 Fleer Ultra #132

Throwback jerseys on cards are always deserving of bonus points, especially when it comes to truly old-timey ones like the A's boasted back in 2000.  On top of that, Stairs is such a cool player to include in the set.  He looks pretty natural in that wool jersey, does he not?


2008 UD First Edition #213

Remember what I mentioned about catcher cards?  Well, I couldn't resist this one, either.  The hockey-style mask plus the fact that it's John Buck--a former Met--ensures that this one joins the fray.


2010 Topps Update #US-231

I had to find a way to work a 'Gabe' card into the mix, and this one was an easy choice.  Then again, whether the name on the front was Gabe or Marty or Ezekiel, this card would have made the cut because it's such a unique photo choice.  I love how horizontal shots work on the 2010 Topps design.


1995 Score #432

A second card featuring a Phillies celebration?  I must be getting soft in my old age.  No matter the team, a card depicting a dugout welcome will almost always receive a favorable reception.


1994 Pinnacle #523

Dunston is another one of those guys that I really wanted to work into the set, and this '94 Pinnacle card fits the bill nicely.  At first glance you might be tempted to dismiss it as ordinary.  But, take a look at the placement of the baseball and where it's frozen for eternity.  Pretty cool.


1992 Topps #550

A stone-cold, lead pipe lock for inclusion in the HH frankenset.  Along with Doc Gooden's '92 Stadium Club classic, this is one of those cards that will not be budged from its spot for any reason beyond ludicrous bribery.


2006 Upper Deck #566

And we'll finish on a sizzling note with this 2006 masterpiece from 2006 Upper Deck.  I don't know much about Pablo Ozuna, but judging from this action sequence, I like the way he plays the game.  And could that be loopy MLB Tonight analyst Eric Byrnes he's about to engulf?  It truly doesn't get any better than that.

MK

4 comments:

  1. Awesome cards all around, definitely all worthy of inclusion in the set!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, darn. Just sent you an extra copy of that '99 SC Brady Anderson. Maybe you can get Mrs. K to start an Anderson player collection with it! Definitely one of the better horizontals I've ever seen.

    Tons of great cardboard in that batch. Love the '93 Select Seitzer. I'll have to keep an eye out for that one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Man, that Ozuna card is incredible. Also, my hate of the Dodgers is well established, but that Strawberry card is still pretty good looking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I dig the Ozuna as well. I agree with your statement of throwbacks on baseball cards, plus it's Stairs!!!

    ReplyDelete