Tuesday, September 18, 2012

A Double Shot of Random Generosity

As card collector's we're pretty simple people, are we not?  Getting a padded yellow mailer in your mailbox along with your assorted credit card bills and Walgreen's flyers is definitely a cause for jubilation.  And that's when you're expecting to receive something from a fellow blogger.  The happiness quotient doubles when you're greeted with a surprise package.

Or two.

Such was my fortune on Monday evening when I arrived home to find a pair of envelopes from a couple of my blogging brethren.  No trades had been worked out, thus I was the recipient of some cardboard goodwill.  Marcus from All the Way to the Backstop and Robert from $30 a Week Habit were both nice enough to have me in mind when the spirit of generosity paid them a visit.  It is always humbling to have someone take time out of their schedule for you on a random basis, so I'm absolutely grateful to both gentlemen.

Okay, onto the goodies!  I flipped a coin and Marcus won, so I'll first share the loot I received from him.

Two full team bags of cards yielded a nice assortment of cardboard...


Some cards of my beloved Mets, including the first 2012 Chrome card I have in my collection.  One of the many 'celebration' themed cards from 2012 Topps, the Duda card is one of my favorites of the year.  A walk-off moment frozen in time.  Lord knows the Mets don't have much to celebrate these days, so it's nice to have something like this to remind us fans of some of the better times.


Speaking of '12 Chrome, we have an A-Rod sighting!  Plus a pair of nice 2008 Upper Deck "Season Highlights" cards of Alex.  The horizontal card (which is awesome, by the way) celebrates home run No. 500 of Rodriguez's career, which occurred on August 4, 2007.


My player collections will be receiving a nice dose of 1992 Fleer Ultra, one of my favorite releases from the early '90s.  The Clark card is a real winner.  You've got The Thrill swinging away at the Friendly Confines.  It doesn't get any better than that from a photogenic standpoint.


Marcus included a few Panini Triple Play cards.  I keep telling myself that I don't like these things, yet every time I receive a sampling of them from somebody I can't help but like 'em.  The Zimmerman is an especially cool-looking card.  And, of course Johan is always welcome in my collection any form he chooses.


I'll wrap up the highlights with this most excellent CyberStats parallel card from 1995 Topps.  I am 100%, completely down with CyberStats.  And the fact that it's Pedro really floats my boat.  I can't say '95 Topps is one of my favorite efforts from the Topps folks, but the extra spice that the cards get from the CyberStats treatment makes me a fan.

Once again, a big thank you to Marcus for keeping me on his radar.  You're the tops, Marcus!

In my next post, I'll show off the goods I received from Robert, another top-notch blogger.  Stay tuned...

MK

3 comments:

  1. There really were some nice celebration cards for the Mets this year in the Topps base. When you're a Met fan, you really have to take all the joy you can get, however and wherever.

    I like Duda's & Ike's but my fave of the bunch was Justin Turner's. A great photo of pure unbridled walk off joy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right! I forgot about that Turner card -- good call.

      Delete
  2. Glad you're a fan of '92 Fleer Ultra as well! The purchase that got me back into baseball cards was at a swap meet a few towns over, I bought a box of that stuff for 8 bucks. I opened all of the packs that day, and the whole time, I kept thinking how much 8-year old me would be freaking out to be able to do what I was doing.

    I just checked the NL standings, I guess I thought that the Mets were having a better year than they actually were. I mean, not like I thought they were playoff bound or anything, but I thought they were at least better off than my Padres. I was wrong.

    The Wal Mart in my town actually stopped stocking Triple Play, and I'm kinda bummed about it. They were only a dollar a pack! A DOLLAR! I want the Padres from the set, but I feel silly buying them on eBay, since most of 'em are selling at a dollar a piece, when you can get a whole pack for that same amount.

    First world problems.

    ReplyDelete