Friday, April 8, 2016

#1 Draft Picks: 1990 Style!


A couple of weeks ago I posted about a bunch of dime-priced inserts from 2015 Archives I snagged at a recent card show here in Northern Delaware.  Those were of the 1990 Topps-themed variety.  And so are these!

From the same seller, in the same dime box, a whole run of these #1 Draft Pick inserts.  I'm more partial to the Rookie Cups, but it's hard to argue against these.  Great player selection, plus the '90 Topps #1 Draft Pick subset reminds us of one of the most iconic cards of that era -- the Frank Thomas rookie.

There are 15 total cards in this particular insert set, and I was able to find all but three!  No Mets to be found, but I was pretty stoked to secure that Jose Fernandez.  He might be my favorite non-Met in the game today.  Plus, I've had that particular card on my radar for a while.

The rest of my finds...












The only three cards I'm missing contain some pretty predictable names: Mike Trout, Bryce Harper and Clayton Kershaw.  It's probably for the best that they were M.I.A. cos if they were present, I might've yelped rather loudly and that's not a good look in public.

I'll never get tired of the totally-dated 1990 design as a vehicle for inserts or throwback sets.  It's a shame we have to wait another another 23 years until Heritage gets the '90 Topps treatment.  That's a very long time from now and I'm an impatient animal.  Plus how do I know I won't have been reduced to merely a frozen head in a jar by then?

A worry for another day, I guess.  In the meantime, I'll just enjoy these.

MK

2 comments:

  1. Love these! What a score. I hope I'm not a frozen head in a jar as well by the time we see 1990 Topps get the Archives treatment. I'll split a case with ya if we're both still around? ;-)

    ReplyDelete