Wednesday, October 24, 2012

High on High Numbers, Plus a Little Update Attitude

Been absent from the blog for a little bit since I was away on an extended weekend.  My buddies and I took our annual trek up to Western N.Y. to take in a Buffalo Bills game -- as well as soak up all the local food and drink. It's always a great time, despite the fact that the team usually isn't very good.  This year was no different, as the Titans dealt the Bills a crushing 35-34 loss.

Anyhow, I was scouring Facebook earlier today and came across some exciting news about the 2012 Heritage High Number series.  Looks like Topps finally released the checklist, including most of the autograph subjects.

The obvious highlights are the debut Heritage cards for Bryce Harper, Yoenis Cespedes, Yu Darvish, and Will Middlebrooks.  Additonally, the Ichiro card is of interest since he'll be donning the Yankee threads.  Andy Pettitte, Adam Wainwright, Raul Ibanez, Pedro Alvarez, Jamie Moyer, and Bobby Abreu are some other names of note.

In terms of the autographs, each of the aforementioned big-time rooks is included, plus guys like Pettitte, Cody Ross, and Zack Cozart.  I'd be on Cloud 9 if my pre-ordered box were to contain a Harper, Pettitte or Yu auto, but I won't hold my breath.

As far as my Mets are concerned, Jonathan Niese, Andres Torres, Jordany Valdespin and Kirk Nieuwenhuis each has a card.  On top of that, the latter two each has an auto card.  I'd certainly be happy if I managed to pull one of those as my guaranteed auto.

All in all, it's not an overwhelming checklist but it certainly has enough to keep me excited.  The Harper alone has me geeked.

I know most of you out there are sour about Topps' ploy, and I'm not blaming you (as stated in my previous post).  But, that doesn't mean I'm not allowed to be pumped up for this release.

And I'm certainly pumped!

Oh, and since we're on the subject of things that have irked the majority of the collecting community, let me just say that I love this card and I'm glad it was included in Topps Update:

 
I think it's A-OK that Topps gave Stanton an Update card to reflect his "new" first name.  In fact, I think it's pretty great.  I mean, if that's not an update worthy of Update, I'm not sure what is.  Plus this is absolutely one of the best photos Topps has used in any product this year.  It's top five at worst.

Therefore, I'll happily accept my spot in the sitting room for dissidents.

Whew.  Okay, glad I got that off my chest.

MK

No comments:

Post a Comment