Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Best of the Decade So Far?


I don't, maybe I'm strange, but I wasn't completely bowled over initially by the 2013 Topps base card design. Perhaps I haven't had sufficient time to warm up to it.  After all, yesterday represented the first time I set eyes on an actual card (as opposed to a scan).

But, after shuffling more than a few times through my newest additions, I think I'm at peace with the look.  In fact, I'm thinking it might be the best yet from Topps during the decade (and, yes, I do consider 2010 part of this decade -- I'm not one of those people).

The cartoonish home plate and base lines are a bit campy, but maybe that will be an endearing trademark when viewed 10-15 years down the road.  The nice big team logo in the bottom right corner is a plus, and it doesn't infringe too badly on the photo as I initially figured it would.  Overall, it's a sharp look.  Both appropriate for its time yet not too dated.

Anyhow, I understand that not every baseball card set needs to be love at first sight.  I mean, last year's design was the only one from the current decade that I really like right out of the blocks.  I didn't much like 2010 at first glance, but it's become one of my all-time favorites in the years since its release.  The 2011 set has a decent design that neither underwhelms me nor sends me to the moon.  I can live with that.

So, I'm wondering: Which is your favorite Topps base design from this decade?  Is there a clear cut favorite?  Do they all look miserable to your eye?  What do you think??



Share your thoughts!  Cast a vote in the poll at the upper right of the blog.  And for additional fun, show your work in the comments section.  I'm curious to know what everyone's opinion is!

As for me, if I had to choose at this very moment, I'm gonna go with 2012.  It would be 2010 in a runaway if Topps wasn't so inconsistent with its usage of the team name graphic on front of the cards -- some teams got just the nickname treatment and some got city plus nickname.  My OCD goes into overdrive about that kind of stuff.

Regardless, I think they're all pretty solid designs.  No real losers in the lot.  My ranking would be 2012, 2010, 2013 and then 2011.

Thanks for checking in, and I look forward to finding out my fellow collectors think...

MK

7 comments:

  1. It's still early, but I think I have to give 2013 top honors. I love the "home plate" design.

    I've actually enjoyed every design Topps has released in the decade thus far. My order would probably go 2013, 2011, 2010, then 2012. All four were terrific sets, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is pretty early but this is how I would rate them: 2013,2010,2011,2012.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't seen 2013 in person yet, but from what I've seen of it online, here's how I'd rate them: 1­° 2011 2° 2012 3° 2013 4° 2010

    ReplyDelete
  4. Man, I've always thought that we've had a lot in common, but I think I'm on the complete opposite side of the fence on this. Like Nick, I know it's soon, but I think '13 is the best of the four. I'm not smitten with it by any means, but I didn't really like last year's set, and 2010 just seemed a little crowded to me.

    I'd go 2013, 2011, 2012, and then 2010.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm probably in the minority on this one but I loved the 2010 design. I, too, have not seen the 2013 in person and actually disliked the 2011.

    Without seeing 2013 in person I'd go 2010, 2013, 2012, 2011.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 1. 2011
    2. 2013
    3. 2010
    4. 2012

    I haven't got my hands on any 2013 yet, much less sort through hundreds putting them in numerical order. That's a process that can cause a set to rise or drop a lot in my rankings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent point. Submerging yourself in a particular set via sorting definitely weighs on your (dis)approval of the cards over time.

      Delete