Thursday, November 22, 2012

Reasons to be Thankful, Pt. 2


Wait, don't get the wrong idea.  I am NOT thankful for the Philadelphia Phillies.  On the contrary, I rue the fact that they exist and that I'm forced to live in the heart of their media market.

Okay, now that I've cleared that up, let me explain further why I am thankful.  In the mail Wednesday came a trade package from Michael, the purveyor of the baseball blog Grubby Glove.  Michael dropped me an line last week hoping to work out a swap of 2012 Heritage SP cards.  I had a couple duplicates he needed, and he had a few off my list.

In addition to that, however, he also offered up 13 base cards off my 'Wanted' list.  At the time of our email exchange, I only needed 14 more cards to put 2012 Heritage to bed.  But after I snagged card No. 154 -- the Don Mattingly manager card -- at Sunday's hobby show, that number was reduced to 13.

That means Michael had the final pieces for my Heritage '12 base set, and he was sending them Delaware bound.

My heart be still!

Well, those 13 base cards plus three wonderful short prints were contained the yellow mailer that was nestled into my mailbox when I got home yesterday.  Among them, the above Phillies team card.

Plus these:


And these:


And don't forget about the short prints:


So, yet another hobby-related reason to be thankful: A completed 2012 Heritage base set.  One that I've been working towards since Mrs. K, err, I mean the Easter Bunny put a retail blaster in my Easter basket.

And it's been quite a fun journey along the way.  Lots of blaster boxes and blister packages and rack packs were ripped, and a Mickey Mantle 1/1 cut signature was discovered.  But, most importantly, a new baseball card love affair with Topps Heritage was forged.  One that I will hopefully enjoy for many years to come.

Michael, I can't thank you enough for helping me bring closure to this set.  And for adding a few big pieces to my ongoing quest for the short print checklist.  Happy Thanksgiving to you, sir!

And to all of you out there reading this, as well.

MK

No comments:

Post a Comment