Sunday, August 19, 2012

A Great Sunday at the Card Show

The local fire hall in Newark, Del. has a sports card show every month.  And, usually I'm there for a little while to either pad my player collections or to hunt down some missing pieces in the sets I'm working on.  As usual, I was able to accomplish both of those goals.

Mostly, I'm excited about the cards I was able to score for the sets I'm currently putting together.  All thanks to the wonderful, glorious dime boxes -- and some good hunting skills.

Here's what the day's scorecard looks like:

2012 Topps Series 2:  Added 22 cards; Need only 16 more to complete the series!

2012 Topps Yovain Gallardo, #654

2012 Archives:  Added 11 cards; Assuming they arrive as advertised, the rest of the cards I need to complete this set will be coming via trade packages.  Very excited for this!

2012 Archives Reggie Jackson, #75

2012 Heritage:  Added 29 base cards and one SP (the SP was not from the dime box, of course); Still need a bunch more.

2012 Heritage Prince Fielder SP, #476

2011 Heritage:  Added 29 cards; Still a looong way to go on this set, too.

2011 Heritage Jordan Zimmermann, #79

All in all, I'm very happy with what I was able to track down.  Most of these came from one dealer's group of dime boxes.  If I spent a bit more time, I might have been able to find more.  But two-plus hours inside the fire hall -- most of which was spent standing next to an old guy in a Steelers jersey with horrid B.O. -- was just about enough for me.

I'll highlight some of the cool non-set-chasing additions from today's show in an upcoming post or two.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend!

MK

P.S.  A very big 'thank you' to all of you who took the time to vote for my contest entry at the Nachos Grande blog.  It looks like your humble author might have survived a very close race...by ONE vote!

No comments:

Post a Comment