Tuesday, August 21, 2012

More Card Show Pickups, The Finale

Okay, I promise this is the final post about Sunday's hobby show.  I've gotta get this out of the way before I talk about a pair of recent trade packages I received.  Plus, I have another Nachos Grande contest entry to unveil by Thursday.  Lots to get to this week, so I better stop fartin' around and get to it.

So, most everything I got at Sunday's show was baseball related, but I did manage to sneak in a few football cards.  I've been collecting football cards for almost as long as baseball cards, but it's been a lot more spotty. I've gone long stretches without buying football.  And even when I do find myself on a football kick, I don't buy nearly as much of the stuff as I do baseball.  Mostly, I'll just ask Santa for a Topps factory set for Christmas and that's about it.

But, I'm always a sucker for '70s ad '80s Topps football, as well as any cool Buffalo Bills cards.  Yes, you've read it properly.  A 20-plus year fan of the Bills here.  I figured, hey, the Mets aren't woeful enough of a franchise, so let me take on the Bills as a rooting interest.  Then again, when I began my love affair with the Bills they were abusing the rest of the AFC and making Super Bowl runs perennially.  How times have changed...

Anyways, here's the lone vintage football card that found its way home with me:

1975 Topps, #313
Before he went on to become a Super Bowl hero with the Redskins, Riggins cut his teeth in the NFL with the Jets.  Since I have no other cards of the original "Diesel", I figured it was appropriate to start with a card of him in green and white.  By the way, is Topps '75 a great looking card or what?  And this one is in awesome shape. For two bucks, I was happy.


1996 Fleer Ultra Sensations, #9
Ah, now we're talking!  Recruited by Penn State as a linebacker, Jim Kelly starred at The U and then made a brief cameo in the USFL before almost single-handedly changing the fortunes of the Bills franchise.  He was always overshadowed by the likes of Montana, Marino and Elway, but Kelly was a true star of his era.  I get it, he never won a Super Bowl.  But let me see another QB pilot his team to four straight Bowls.  Never happened before Kelly; never gonna happen again.  This card was a quarter.


2009 Bowman Chrome, #BC48
A Bowman Chrome rookie card of Stevie Johnson for a dime?  How could I say no?  Yup, he definitely marches to his own drummer, to state it mildly.  But, he's the only receiver in Bills history to post back-to-back 1,000-yard seasons.  Andre Reed, James Lofton, Eric Moulds, Lee Evans -- none of them did it.  Plus, we bumped into Stevie and family at Disney World during our honeymoon last October and he graciously took a couple of pictures with Mrs. K and me.  So, Stevie is A-OK in my book.

*****

If you've read this far, thank you for indulging in my brief detour from baseball!  I promise to get back to baseball cards in my next post.  But, at this time of the year, it's hard to fully suppress the butterflies I start to get for football season.  It helps when you're a Mets fan and they're double digits out of the playoff race...

Thanks for stopping by and, as always, happy collecting!

MK

No comments:

Post a Comment