Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Additions to the David Wright Collection

I've been gettin' busy on eBay lately.  Just yesterday I told you about the 2011 and 2012 Heritage cards I picked up last week.  Well, in addition, I recently acquired some cool cards of Mets All-Star David Wright from everyone's favorite auction site.  They arrived earlier this week and I'm pretty happy with what I was able to snag.

First in the queue, I purchased three "Buy It Now" lots for a buck a piece from one seller.  Nine cards per lot, and some pretty nifty inserts and parellels included in each.

Here are some of my favorites from those lots:

2012 Archives gold foil, #180
Can't go wrong with the gold foil cards from 2012 Topps Archives.  I bought two blasters and a few rack packs or Archives and didn't get a single gold foil card.  Fooey.  I bought a Strasburg foil at a hobby show a couple months back, so this Wright represents just my second from this parallel set.

2011 Allen & Ginter, #HH42
The apple of seemingly every collector's eye, the Allen & Ginter set brings us this 2011 insert from the "Hometown Heroes" collection.  The back of the card refers to Virginia as a "state".  I'm sure Virginia natives aren't happy.

2007 Finest, #1
I don't own too many Finest cards from 2007.  In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if this was my first.  There may be a stray within one of my player collections, I don't know.  Anyhow, the '07 design kinda rubs me the wrong way. That's the thing with Finest, it's very hit or miss.  But, they made up for it was a good photo on this one.

2011 Topps Gold, #15
I have the regular, the silver diamond and the cognac dimaond versions of this card.  So, naturally I had to have the gold.  There are probably a rainbow's worth of other variations out there, also.  These goldies are numbered to 2011.  This might be my favorite action photo Topps has used for a Wright base card.  At worst, it's in a tie with 2010's pic.

2011 Finest Green Refractor, #35
Okay, it isn't the same exact photo as the card above, but it's obviously a continuation of the same play.  I can live with that.  These green refractors are numbered to 199, and I really like the design of the 2011 Finest base cards (remember, hit or miss).  I already owned one of these, and now I have to two.  As the good Mr. Stackhouse of Tim Wallach blog might say, "Only 197 to go."

This final card is from a separate transaction.  And it's a doozie!  A "Faces of the Franchise" insert from 2012 Finest.  I saw the die-cut design on another blogger's post and hustled over to eBay once I discovered that Wright had a card in the set.

2012 Finest, #FF-DW
Okay, let's just get it out of the way.  What's the deal with the Ralph Kramden eyes?  There.  Now that that awkwardness is over, let me just say that I like everything about this card design.  Talk about a kick-ass insert! The only thing keeping this card from being a perfect-10 is the photo choice.  But, I guess it's appropriate that the face of New York's dysfunctional National League franchise is kinda goofy.

Okay, that about wraps it up.  Another successful eBay voyage is in the books!

MK

1 comment:

  1. I heard a lot of people weren't impressed with the gold foil from the Archives set, but I liked em. That one looks good, nice haul!

    ReplyDelete